Mahmud Kusuma, S.H., M.H.
(Certified Attorneys at Law)
Previously, the www.hukumindo.com platform has talk about "Various Documents Needed For Prospective Mixed Marriage Couples To Get Married In Indonesia", "Strategies for Filing a Divorce Lawsuits for Foreigners And Migrant Workers" read also "How To Married Indonesian Women Legally?", and on this occasion we will discuss about 'How To Obtain Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) in Indonesia?'
Term & Legal Basis
In general, Certificate of No Impediment acronym to CNI is a letter that explains that there is no obstacle for a person to get married. This letter is one of the requirements for marriage for foreign citizens in Indonesia.
In Indonesia, based on Article 57 of Law No. 1 of 1974 concerning Marriage, what is meant by mixed marriage is marriage between two people in Indonesia subject to different laws due to differences in citizenship and one of the parties is an Indonesian citizen. In other words, what is meant by mixed marriage according to Indonesian law (Law No. 1 of 1974 concerning Marriage) is a marriage between a citizen and a foreign citizen.
The application to obtain a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) is submitted to the Embassy of the foreigner concerned. Several requirement in common are:
- Birth certificate;
- ID Card;
- Certificate of dissolution of marriage, if the foreigner has been married and divorced. Death Certificate for the bride and groom who are widows/widowers;
- Proof of residence or domicile letter;
With the issuance of the Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) from the related embassy, the marriages between Indonesian citizens and foreigners carried out according to Indonesian law will be considered valid and legally recognized by both law the foreigner law and Indonesian law.
In this article, an example will be given of the procedure for obtaining a Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) at the 'A' Embassy in Jakarta - Indonesia:
- Make an appointment by phone with the consular department at least 1 day prior;
- Then come to the Consular Section of the relevant Embassy according to the schedule given;
- The foreign prospective bride then fills out the application form and signs the Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) form in front of the consular officer;
- The foreign prospective bride then submit supporting data as required.
And if you have difficulty to obtain Certificate of No Impediment (CNI) for getting married in Indonesia, contact us, we will be happy to help you.
*) For further information please contact:
Mahmud Kusuma Advocate
Tokopedia Care Tower, 17th Floor, Unit 2&5,
Outer West Ring Road, 101, Rawa Buaya,
Cengkareng Sub District, West Jakarta City,
Jakarta - Indonesia.
1. "Various Documents Needed For Prospective Mixed Marriage Couples To Get Married In Indonesia", www.hukumindo.com., Diakses pada tanggal 24 Februari 2022, https://www.hukumindo.com/2022/02/various-documents-needed-for-mixed.html
2. "Certificate of No Impediment", www.ilalanggrass.com., Diakses pada tanggal 24 Februari 2022, https://www.ilalanggrass.com/2012/04/certificate-of-no-impediment-to.html