Mahmud Kusuma, S.H., M.H.
(Certified Attorneys at Law)
Previously, the www.hukumindo.com platform has talk about "Contoh Akta Gadai Saham", "Customs Foreclosure Fraud 2022 Sets Record, Losses Exceed IDR 8.3 Billion!", you may read also "How To Report Online Scammer Or Fraud To The Police In Indonesia" and on this occasion we will discuss about '5 Latest Online Fraud Modes and Their Characteristics'.
The Ministry of Communication and Information of the Republic of Indonesia or Kominfo appealed to the public to be aware of the various modes of online fraud that are rife. The dynamics of using digital space increases cases of fraud if personal data is not properly safeguarded. National Research on Digital Fraud in Indonesia: Modus, Medium, and Recommendations (August 2022) by Gajah Mada University (UGM), shows that out of 1,671 people or respondents, 98.3 percent of them have received digital fraud messages or encountered online fraud modes.
Most of the online fraud modes that occur are online fraud under the guise of prizes 91.2 percent, online fraudulent illegal loans 74.8 percent, online fraud by sending links that contain malware/virus 65.2 percent, online fraud under the guise of a family crisis 59.8 percent, and online illegal investment fraud 56 percent. The latest online fraud modes referred to by Kominfo are phishing, pharming, sniffing, money mule, and social engineering. The more diverse modes of online fraud are influenced by the more and more internet users in Indonesia. Referring to 2021 data, there are a total of 202.6 million users.
There are 170 million active users on social media or 87 percent use the Whatsapp application, then 85 percent access Instagram and Facebook, with an average usage of 8 hours 52 minutes a day. Check out the full explanation. Here's Liputan6.com for a more in-depth review of the five modes of online fraud and their characteristics, Wednesday (1/3/2023):
- Online Phishing Fraud Mode. Kominfo explained that the newest mode of online fraud, such as phishing, is characterized by individuals who claim to be from official institutions using telephone, e-mail or text messages such as WhatsApp and Telegram. Don't just click on the link sent! The phishing messages appear to be from legitimate institutions. This latest online fraud mode was carried out with the aim of wanting to dig up people to provide their personal data. Personal data is then at risk of being used for the next crime. Those perpetrators of online fraud mode will ask for sensitive data to access important accounts which result in identity theft and losses. Therefore, the public is advised to read more carefully and look carefully at the contents of SMS or messages or emails to see if the sender is from a genuine institution.
- Pharmin Mobile Online Fraud Mode. Mobile phone phraming is the newest mode of online fraud that is no less terrible. This is an online fraud mode whose characteristics direct potential victims to fake websites. If the victim clicks on the intended site link, the domain name system entry that the victim presses/clicks on will be stored in cache. Don't just click! Kominfo explained that this latest online fraud mode will make it easier for perpetrators to access the victim's device illegally. For example, they are able to create domains that appear to be similar to the institutional origins of the original. The perpetrator will place or install malware so that later he can access it illegally. It was revealed that there have been many cases of online fraud and for example someone had their Whatsapp tapped, then taken over because the perpetrator had installed malware on their cellphone so that their personal data was stolen.
- Online Sniffing Fraud Mode. Sniffing is the same as hacking. Kominfo describes this latest mode of online fraud being carried out by hacking to collect information illegally, especially through the network on the victim's device and accessing applications that store important user data. The most dangerous and risky of the online sniffing fraud mode, it actually happens a lot to those who often use/access public wifi in the public, especially when using it for transactions. This is dangerous, because the characteristics of the sniffing actors will take advantage of networks that are commonly accessed by the public.
- Money Mule Online Fraud Mode. The newest mode of online fraud is money mule. The characteristics of this online fraud mode are individuals who ask the victim to receive a certain amount of money into an account to later transfer it to someone else's account. Kominfo describes the mode of online fraud as a money mule, usually the perpetrator will ask the potential victim to send the tax payment first. This mode of fraud is generally carried out by offering a prize to potential victims. Therefore, the public is advised to be careful because online fraud modes such as money mule are commonly used for money laundering or money laundering. The victim will be sent money, but must first transfer it to the perpetrator's account. Don't be easily tempted by a gift offer like that!
- Online Social Engineering Fraud Mode. Social engineering is a mode of online fraud carried out by perpetrators who psychologically manipulate victims so that they are not aware of providing important and sensitive information. The characteristics of this online fraud mode are usually carried out by the perpetrator by taking the OTP code or password because he already understands the behavior of the target. Kominfo appealed to the public to be more aware not to share data that should be protected.
And if you have any legal issue in Indonesia territory, contact us then, feel free in 24 hour, we will be happy to assist you.
*) For further information please contact:
Mahmud Kusuma Advocate
Tokopedia Care Tower, 17th Floor, Unit 2&5,
Outer West Ring Road, 101, Rawa Buaya,
Cengkareng Sub District, West Jakarta City,
Jakarta - Indonesia.
1. "5 Modus Penipuan Online Terbaru dan Cirinya, Jangan Asal Klik", www.liputan6.com., Laudia Tysara, Diakses pada tanggal 19 April 2023, Link: https://www.liputan6.com/hot/read/5195406/5-modus-penipuan-online-terbaru-dan-cirinya-jangan-asal-klik