Mahmud Kusuma, S.H., M.H.
(Certified Attorneys at Law)
Previously, the www.hukumindo.com platform has talk about "Sosok Muchtar Pakpahan, Salah Satu Advokat Hukum Perburuhan Populer", "31 Judul Film Yang Wajib Ditonton Tentang Advokat", you may read also "Mengingat Yap Thiam Hien" and on this occasion we will discuss about 'The 5 weirdest judges' verdicts'.
It is the duty of the judge to give appropriate punishment to criminals who break the law. But the task is not easy. The judge must make the fairest decision based on all legal considerations. It can be said that the upholding of law and justice will not be achieved without good judges. The following stories tell of judges' verdicts that are unique, hilarious, and strange at the same time. Check it out:
- This rap music fan was sentenced to listen to 20 hours of classical music. The District Court of Champaign, State of Illinois, United States of America sentenced Andrew Vactor, 24, to pay a fine of IDR 1.7 million. He was convicted of playing a rap song too loudly on his car tape last July. However, Judge Susan Fornof-Lippencott offered leniency by only paying a fine of IDR 400,000 as long as Vactor listened to classical music by composers Bach, Beethoven and Chopin. Vactor agreed but he only lasted 15 minutes listening to the classical music. He reasoned not because he didn't like music but because he had to go to practice basketball with his team at Urbana University.
- Stealing a statue of Jesus, two teenagers were sentenced to drive a donkey around the village. Painesville District Court Judge, Ohio State, United States, Michael A. Cicconetti is known for his often strange sentences. In 2003, two teenagers from Fairport Harbor who stole a statue of Jesus were sentenced to go around the village driving a donkey with a sign that read "Sorry for the jerk." The two teenagers, Jessica Lange and Brian Patrick, both 19 years old, also had to replace the statue they had stolen, follow through drug guidance and be jailed for 45 days.
- Traffic violators are sentenced to pick cotton a week. Anyone who violates traffic rules in Uzbekistan will be punished with a week's worth of cotton picking if they want their driver's license returned. Together with students, teachers, and employees, they must undergo this unique punishment during the harvest season for a month. In Uzbekistan, shops and cafes are also required to close at 19.00 so that residents do not hang out late at harvest time.
- The judge gives this man a choice, marry his girlfriend or go to jail. A judge in the State of Texas, United States of America, stirred up controversy because in his decision he ordered a man named Josten Bundy to marry his girlfriend, Elizabeth Jaynes, 19 years old, or spend 15 days in prison. The story goes like this. In February, Bundy got into a fight with his girlfriend's ex-boyfriend. "He said something inappropriate about Elizabeth so I asked her to fight," Bundy said, as reported by odditycentral, Thursday (13/8). During the fight, Bundy punched Jaynes' ex-boyfriend in the jaw. The man did not need medical treatment but instead he took the case to court. At trial Judge Randall Rodgers asked Bundy whether Jaynes was so special that he dared to punch people. "To be honest, I grew up with four older sisters and I know if a guy said that to a girl I would do the same thing," said Bundy. It was at this point that the judge challenged Bundy. He must marry Jaynes within 30 days or spend 15 days in jail. Jayne, who was in the courtroom, immediately blushed because she was embarrassed to hear the judge's decision. "My face turned red and people behind me laughed," said Jaynes. Originally Bundy would have opted for 15 days in prison provided he did not lose his current job. But the judge said Bundy would lose his job if he was jailed. Worried about Bundy's fate, who would lose his job if he was in prison, the two lovebirds finally chose to marry and submitted a marriage certificate to determine the date of the happy day. But unfortunately they now only have a short time to prepare the entire wedding ceremony. "I don't think we'll be able to get the wedding we've always wanted. My dad and brothers can't come, it makes me sad," said Bundy. With 18 days left they didn't get to invite the important people they wanted.
And if you have any legal issue with this topic, contact us then, feel free in 24 hour, we will be happy to assist you.
*) For further information please contact:
Mahmud Kusuma Advocate
Tokopedia Care Tower, 17th Floor, Unit 2&5,
Outer West Ring Road, 101, Rawa Buaya,
Cengkareng Sub District, West Jakarta City,
Jakarta - Indonesia.
1. "Lima vonis hakim ini paling kocak dan aneh sedunia", www.merdeka.com., Reporter: Pandasurya Wijaya, Diakses pada tanggal 24 Januari 2023, Link: https://www.merdeka.com/dunia/lima-vonis-hakim-ini-paling-kocak-dan-aneh-sedunia.html